Microsoft announces constantly news about Operations Management Suite (OMS) and System Center. As usual our community releases this monthly summary that provides a general overview of the main new features of the month, in order to stay up to date on these topics and have the necessary references to conduct further exploration.
Operations Management Suite (OMS)
Azure Log Analytics
The possible integration of Azure Data Factory (ADF) with Azure Monitor lets you send usage metrics to Operations Management Suite (OMS). The new solution Azure Data Factory Analytics, available in the Azure marketplace, can provide an overview of the State of health of the Data Factory, allowing you to go into detail of the information collected. This can be very useful for troubleshooting. It is also possible to collect metrics from different data factories to the same workspace of OMS Log Analytics. For configuration details required to use this solution, you can see the official documentation.
Figure 1 – Overview of the new Azure Data Factory Analytics solution
In Log Analytics, query execution introduces the ability to easily select the workspace on which to execute the queries.:
Figure 2 - Selection of the workspace on which to perform the Log Analytics query
The same possibility is also introduced in Azure Application Insights Analytics. This feature is useful because in each query tab you can select the specific workspace, avoiding having to open Log Analytics in different browser tabs.
In case they are collected custom logs in Azure Log Analytics, a separate category was created called "Custom Logs", where they are grouped.
Figure 3 – Grouping of custom logs in the specific category
For workspace of Log Analytics present in the region of West Europe, East US, and West Central was announced the availability in public preview of Metric Alerts for logs. The Metric alerts for logs allow you to use data from Log Analytics as metrics of Azure Monitor. The types of supported logs has been extended and the complete list is available at this link. For more information please visit the official documentation.
In Azure Pricing Calculator, the official Microsoft tool for estimating the cost of Azure services, has been made possible to obtain a more accurate estimate of the costs of Azure Backup, allowing you to specify different retention range for the Recovery Points.
Figure 4 – New parameters to make a more accurate estimate of costs of Azure Backup
Azure Site Recovery
For Azure Site Recovery was released theUpdate Rollup 26 introducing new versions of the following components:
- Microsoft Azure Site Recovery Unified Setup/Mobility agent (version 9.17.4897.1): used for replication scenarios from VMware to Azure.
- Microsoft Azure Site Recovery Provider (version 5.1.3400.0): used for replication scenarios from Hyper-V to Azure or to a secondary site.
- Microsoft Azure Recovery Services agent (version 2.0.9122.0): used for replication scenarios from Hyper-V to Azure.
The installation of this update rollup is recommended in deployments where there are components and their respective versions below reported:
- Unified Setup/Mobility agent version 9.13.000.1 or later.
- Site Recovery Provider version 5.1.3000 or later.
- Hyper-V Recovery Manager 3.4.486 or later.
- Site Recovery Hyper-V Provider 4.6.660 or later.
For more information on the issues resolved, on improvements from this Update Rollup and to get the procedure for its installation is possible to consult the specific KB 4344054.
Regarding Azure Automation has been introduced the possibility to configure the Hybrid Runbook Workers so that they can execute only runbooks digitally signed (the execution of unsigned runbooks not fail). The procedure to be followed is reported in this section of the Microsoft's article.
Following the first announcement of the Semi-Annual Channel release of System Center, took place in February with the version 1801, this month has been released the new update release, System Center 1807.
The update release 1807 introduces new features for Virtual Machine Manager and Operations Manager, while for Data Protection Manager, Orchestrator and Service Manager contains fixes for known issues (including bug fixes present in the UR5 for System Center 2016, released in April).
What's new in Virtual Machine Manager 1807
- Supports selection of CSV for placing a new VHD
- Display of LLDP information for networking devices
- Convert SET switch to logical switch
- VMware host management: VMM 1807 supports VMware ESXi v6.5 servers in VMM fabric
- Support for S2D cluster update
- Support for SQL 2017
What's new in Operations Manager 1807
- Configure APM component during agent install or repair
- Linux log rotation
- HTML5 Web console enhancements
- Support for SQL Server 2017
- Operations Manager and Service Manager console coexistence
For further details please visit the Microsoft official documentation:
System Center 1807 can be download from System Center Evaluation Center.
For all System Center products (DPM, SCORCH, SM, SCOM and VMM) you can now Update existing deployments going from SQL server 2016 to SQL server 2017.
Please remember that the release belonging to the Semi-Annual Channel have support for 18 months.
System Center Configuration Manager
Released the version 1807 for the branch Technical Preview of System Center Configuration Manager. The main novelty in this release is l & #8217; introduction of the new Community hub, through which you can share scripts, reports, configuration items and more, about Configuration Manager. Through the community hub, accessible from the SCCM console, you can introduce into your environment solutions provided by the community.
Among the new features in this release are also:
- Improvements to third-party software updates
- Co-managed device activity sync from Intune
- Approve application requests via email
- Repair applications
- Admin defined offline operating system image servicing drive
- Improvements to run scripts
Please note that the Technical Preview Branch releases help you to evaluate new features of SCCM and it is recommended to apply these updates only in test environments.
System Center Operations Manager
In order to configure the connection between Operations Management Suite (OMS) and System Center Operations Manager you must import the following new management packs, version-specific:
This change to the MPs was made necessary to allow proper communication with new APIs of OMS Log Analytics, introduced after moving towards the Azure Portal of Log Analytics.
Figure 5 - SCOM Wizard for the OMS onboarding
It is reported the new wave of System Center Operations Manager management packs released for SQL Server, now lined up to version 184.108.40.206:
In July were also released the following Management Packs for the Open Source software, version 7.7.1129.0, which include the following news:
Apache HTTP Server
- Supports Apache HTTP Server version 2.2 and 2.4
- Provides monitoring of busy and idle workers
- Provides monitoring of resource usage – memory and CPU
- Provides statistics for virtual hosts such as “Requests per Minute” and “Errors per Minute”
- Provides alerting for SSL Certificate expiration
- Supports MySQL Server version 5.0, 5.1, 5.5, 5.6, and 5.7
- Supports MariaDB Server version 5.5, and 10.0
- Provides monitoring of databases
- Provides monitoring of disk space usage for server and databases
- Provides statistics for Key Cache, Query Cache, and Table Cache
- Provides alerting for slow queries, failed connections, and full table scans
The following new MPs have also been released by Microsoft:
- MP for Active Directory Federation Services version 0.2.0
- MP for Active Directory Federation Services 2012 R2 version 1.10172.1
- MP for Microsoft Azure version 5.20.18
Please also note the new community version (1807) of the Azure Management Pack, issued by Daniele Grandini.
Evaluation of OMS and System Center
Please remember that in order to test and evaluate for free Operations Management Suite (OMS) you can access this page and select the mode that is most appropriate for your needs.
To try out the various components of System Center, you can access theEvaluation Center and after the registration you can start the trial period.