The month of February was full of news and there are different updates that affected Operations Management Suite (OMS) and System Center. This article summarizes in concise terms to have a global vision and it contains the necessary references to learn more about it.
Operations Management Suite (OMS)
Everyone who uses Azure ExpressRoute will be glad to know that you can now monitor it by using the Network Performance Monitor (NPM). This feature has been in previews for a few months and has now passed in the state of general availability. Among the features of this monitor solution we find:
- Ability to view interactively, using the topology view of NPM, the various components (network on-premises, circuit provider edge, circuit ExpressRoute, edge Microsoft, and the Azure VMs) and latency measured in each hop. This allows you to easily identify any performance issues in connectivity and quickly locate the problematic segment of communication.
- Ability to view the bandwidth usage of primary and secondary ExpressRoute circuit . Thanks to drill-down is also possible to intercept the bandwidth usage for each vNet connected to the ExpressRoute circuit.
- Ability to create queries and custom views thanks to the fact that all details of the solution are available in the repository of Log Analytics and therefore you can use the native search functionality and correlation to suit your needs.
- Ability to diagnose various problems of connectivity present in ExpressRoute circuit .
For more information about how to configure the ExpressRoute monitor with NPM please visit the Microsoft's official documentation.
Also in Network Performance Monitor (NPM) was introduced the Service Endpoint Monitor with the integration into the monitor and into the performance of your application also of the performance end-to-end of the network. This feature allows you to create different types of tests (HTTP, HTTPS, TCP and ICMP), that must be carried out in key points of the network infrastructure, so you can quickly identify whether the problem encountered is related to the network or is related to the application. Through the use of the network topology map the problem and its nature is easily locatable. This is a feature in public preview whose characteristics are described in detail in this article.
This month the new version ofOMS agent for Linux systems fixes some bugs and also introduces an updated version of the components SCX and OMI. To obtain the updated version of the OMS agent you can access to the official GitHub page OMS Agent for Linux Patch v 1.4.4-210.
In this article is described how to build the solution of monitor in Log Analytics for Azure Backup. With this monitor solution, you can control the main aspects of Azure Backup as the backup and restore jobs, backup alert and use of cloud storage. You can do all cross Recovery Service vault and cross subscription, being able to take advantage of the features built into Log Analytics, such as the automated opening of ticket via webhooks or through integration with ITSM. It is a community solution, and each contributed is obviously welcome.
For Azure Backup was announced (in general availability) the possibility of creating consistent backups at the application layer for Linux virtual machines running on Azure. On Windows systems this is done using the VSS component, while for Linux VM it is made available one scripting framework through which you can run the pre-scripts and post-scripts to control the backup execution.
For more details on this you can consult theofficial announcement, while for more information about Linux virtual machine protection in Microsoft Azure, using Azure Backup, you can view the article: Azure Backup: the protection of Linux on Azure.
Azure Backup introduces the ability to protect natively Azure File Shares. This feature is currently in Public Preview and the main features are:
- Chance, accessing Recovery Service vault, to make the discovery of storage acccount and detect files shares unprotected.
- Large-scale protection: there is the possibility to back up multiple file shares contained in a storage account and apply a common security policy.
- Instant and granular restore. The protection is based on file share snapshots and this allows you to quickly restore files selectively.
- From the Azure portal you can explore the different restore point available to easily identify which files to restore.
For further information you can consult theofficial announcement.
This month has been released a Mandatory Update for the Microsoft Azure Recovery Services agent (MARS). For all those who use Azure Backup you must install this update as soon as possible to avoid failures in backup and recovery tasks.
Azure Site Recovery
In Azure Site Recovery was made available a wait functionality, that allows to protect virtual machines having managed disk, in the replication scenario between different Azure regions, allowing greater flexibility for Disaster Recovery scenarios with systems in Azure.
As announced in the last few months and as is already the case for the operating system and Configuration Manager, also the others System Center products, in particular, Operations Manager, Virtual Machine Manager, and Data Protection Manager will follow a release of updated versions every 6 months (semi-annual channel). This month there was the first release with the version 1801 of System Center.
To know the details of what is new in this release, please consult the official announcement. Please remember that for belonging to the semi-annual channel support is guaranteed 18 months.
System Center Configuration Manager
Released the version 1802 for the branch Technical Preview of System Center Configuration Manager: Update 1802 for Configuration Manager Technical Preview Branch.
This release introduces a considerable number of innovations on different areas, including: OSD, Cloud Management Gateway, features of Windows 10 and Office 365, Software Center and Site Server High Availability.
Please note that the Technical Preview Branch releases help you to evaluate new features of SCCM and it is recommended to apply these updates only in test environments.
System Center Operations Manager
The feature called "Updates and Recommendations", introduced in SCOM 2016 for Management Packs from Microsoft, is useful to facilitate the process of discovery of appropriate MPs to monitor different workloads present in your infrastructure and keep them updated. This feature is enabled by well over 110 Microsoft workloads. Microsoft announced that it is extending this feature also for MPs produced and offered by third parties. In release 1801 of Operations Manager are currently covered MPs of the following external partners:
- CalCom: CHS hardening automation suite
- Comtrade: Nutanix, F5 BIG-IP
- Infront Consulting: RightFax, SC Orchestrator, McAfee, and Isilon
- NiCE: IBM Domino, Oracle, and DB2
- Nowara: BlackBerry, IBM MQ, Oracle, Swift, and VMware
- Savision: ActiveDirectory, Exchange 2013, Exchange_2010, DynamicsCRM, SharePoint 2013, SkypeForBusiness 2015, SystemCenterConfigurationManager 2012, DHCP, DNS, RemoteDesktopServices, and Lync Server 2013
As a result of the release of version 1801 of System Center were also made available the following new SCOM Management Packs:
- Azure SQL Database
- SQL Server 2016 version 22.214.171.124
- SQL Server 2014 version 126.96.36.199
- Sql Server Dashboards version 188.8.131.52
- SQL Server (2008-2012) version 184.108.40.206
- Service Manager
System Center Service Manager
Released an new version of the Service Manager Authoring Tool.
Evaluation of OMS and System Center
Please remember that in order to test and evaluate for free Operations Management Suite (OMS) you can access this page and select the mode that is most appropriate for your needs.
To test the various components of System Center 2016 you can access theEvaluation Center and, after registering, you can start the trial period.