In this article I'll show you how you can integrate the IPAM infrastructure with System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 R2 and what are its advantages.
IP Address Management (IPAM) is a suite of tools, integrated into the operating system from Windows Server 2012, that schedules, manage and monitor the infrastructure of IP routes using a simple and intuitive interface for centralized administration. All this is made possible thanks to the fact that IPAM is able to locate and communicate directly with DNS and DHCP servers on the network.
Flexible Fabric management provided by System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) It allows you to model and manage the networking of your virtual datacenter. To have a full and comprehensive control of assigned IP network-wide directives you can integrate IPAM with SCVMM. The main purpose of the integration of IPAM and SCVMM is ensuring that IP addressing settings also associated with Logical Network and Virtual Machine Networks (VM networks) in SCVMM are synchronized with the information maintained centrally from the server IPAM.
In fact a single server enterprise IPAM can also detect and prevent IP conflicts and overlaps in addressing IP for multiple instances of SCVMM 2012 R2 (fabric stamps).
How to add a server IPAM in SCVMM
- From the SCVMM console access the workspace Fabric and expand Networking. In the branch Network Service, select "Add Network Services":
- Specify a name and a description for the network service:
- As a manufacturer you must select Microsoft and as Model "Microsoft Windows Server IP Address Management":
- Specify which Run As account use, who must belong to the following groups on the server IPAM:
- IPAM ASM Administrators: local group on all servers IPAM providing permissions for address space management (Address Space Management, ASM).
- Remote Management Users: built-in user group that provides access to resources via WMI management protocols.
In this regard, it is recommended that you create a domain account specifically for this purpose.
- In connection string, specify the FQDN of the server IPAM:
- Complete the tests related to the Configuration provider and make sure you conclude successfully:
- To associate this Network Service (IPAM in this case) to the appropriate host:
At the end of this configuration on the server IPAM will attend all Logical Network and VMS Network defined in VMM and you can run them directly from the Administration console of IPAM. The integration is bi-directional and allows administrators to have more control even of directives that are used by virtual infrastructure IP: