Compared to what we were used to seeing in recent months, in the month of may, have been announced by Microsoft a few news about Operations Management Suite (OMS) and System Center. This article will summarize bringing the references needed to conduct further studies.
Operations Management Suite (OMS)
Microsoft announced the retirement, starting from 8 June 2018, of the following solutions:
- Azure Web Apps Analytics (Preview). Now for the Web application monitor is recommended to use Application Insights.
- Azure Capacity and Performance (Preview).
This means that, as of this date, you can no longer add this solutions in the Log Analytics workspaces. For those who are currently using it, is appropriate to consider that the solution will still work, but will be missing its support and will not be released new updates.
In this article are reported some important recommendations that should be followed when using the operators "Summarize" and "Join" in Log Analytics and Application Insights query. It is recommended to adjust the syntax of any existing query, using these operators, to comply with the specifications given in the article.
Security and Audit
It should be noted this interesting article where it is shown how you can detect and investigate unusual and potentially malicious activities using Azure Log Analytics and Security Center.
Azure Site Recovery
Microsoft has announced that the following versions of the REST API of Azure Site Recovery will be deprecated since 31 July 2018:
You will need to use at least version API 2016-08-10 to interface with Azure Site Recovery. This type of change has no impact on the portal of Azure Site Recovery and to the solution access via PowerShell.
System Center Orchestrator
The Integration Packs of Orchestrator, version 7.3 for System Center 2016, have been released.
The download can be done at this link and includes the following components:
- System Center 2016 Integration Pack for System Center 2016 Configuration Manager.
- System Center 2016 Integration Pack for System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager.
- System Center 2016 Integration Pack for System Center 2016 Operations Manager.
- System Center 2016 Integration Pack for System Center 2016 Service Manager.
- System Center 2016 Integration Pack for System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager.
These Integration Packs allow you to develop automation, interfacing directly with the other components of System Center. The Integration Pack for System Center 2016 Operations Manager has been revised to require no more the presence of the Operations Manager console to function correctly.
System Center Operations Manager
Following, are updates released for Operations Manager Management Packs:
- Active Directory Federation Services version 10.0.1.0
- Active Directory Federation Services 2012 R2 version 7.1.10100.1
System Center Service Management Automation
Service Management Automation sees the release ofUpdate Rollup 5. Among the issues addressed are:
- Runbooks that, using cmdlets of System Center 2016 Service Manager, fail with the error "MissingMethodException".
- Runbooks that fail with the exception "unauthorized access".
Improvements have also been made in the debug logging.
To see the complete list of issues and the details on how to upgrade, you can access to the specific knowledge base.
Evaluation of OMS and System Center
Please remember that in order to test and evaluate for free Operations Management Suite (OMS) you can access this page and select the mode that is most appropriate for your needs.
To test the various components of System Center 2016 you can access theEvaluation Center and after the registration you can start the trial period.