This article lists the main changes announced in October concerning Operations Management Suite (OMS) and System Center. This is a concise summary that contains the necessary references for further study.
Operations Management Suite (OMS)
In Log Analytics in August was released a major update that introduces a number of changes, as the powerful new query language, the introduction of the new Advanced Analytics portal and greater integration with Power BI. For further information you can consult the specific article Log Analytics: a major update evolves the solution. During the month, Microsoft announced that from 30 October 2017 is started automatically the upgrade process of the OMS workspaces not yet updated manually. Everything will be done in a gradual way for region according to the schedule below:
Also starting from 16 October 2017 the new OMS workspaces are already build in the new mode and there is no possibility to create a legacy workspace. For further information you can consult the article Azure Log Analytics workspace upgrades are in progress.
Thanks to the solution Azure Log Analytics Container Monitoring for the Service Fabric under Linux now you can:
- Centralize and correlate logs that are related to containers.
- For containers and nodes display in almost real-time metrics for CPU, memory, storage and network utilization.
- Identify containers with excessive use of resources.
- Control the use of process-wide resources (Docker container top).
- See an inventory of the container node that contains information about the Orchestration.
The presence of an Azure Resource Manager (ARM) template that lets you create a new Log Analytics Workspace and install during the deployment the OMS agent on all nodes of the Service Fabric cluster facilitates the activation of the monitor. At the end of the cluster deployment simply add to the workspace of Log Analytics the solution Container Monitoring available in Azure Marketplace, and in a few minutes will be available in Log Analytics information on the Service Fabric. For further information you can consult the article Azure Log Analytics Container Monitoring solution for Linux process Fabric.
By using the Azure Action Groups you can use the Log Analytics solution IT Service Management Connector Solution to automatically open incident in your product or service of IT Service Management (ITSM), if properly supported, against alert generated in the Azure environment. The steps to configure this new feature is documented in the ad Send your Azure alerts to ITSM tools using Action Groups.
Released a new version of the OMS agent for Linux systems that mainly has solved some bugs and introduced some useful improvements. For more details and to get the updated version please refer to the official GitHub page OMS Agent for Linux GA v 1.4.1-123
As for Azure Automation have been announced, currently in preview, exciting new features:
- Update management: it allows you to have visibility on the updates compliance for both Windows and Linux systems, regardless of their location (Azure, on-premises or others cloud). It also allows you to schedule the deployment to install the updates within a specific maintenance window. Among the features offered is the ability to exclude specific updates from the deployment and retrieve logs for the deployment useful for troubleshooting.
- Inventory: it allows you to retrieve inventory information about the installed applications within systems. All this can easily be accessed directly from the portal Azure.
- Track changes: useful for monitoring changes made to systems for services, daemons, software, registry and files. This feature can be very useful to diagnose specific problems and to enable alerts against unexpected changes.
For further details please consult the specific article What's New in Azure Automation: Inventory, Change Tracking and Update Management.
Azure Automation also introduces the ability to implement runbook written in Python 2 and adds support for the role Hybrid Runbook Worker under Linux. These features are currently in public preview.
TheUpdate Rollup 4 for Microsoft System Center 2016 has been released.
These are the System Center products affected by the update that resolves several issues and introduces some improvements:
- Operations Manager (4024941)
- Virtual Machine Manager (4041074)
- Data Protection Manager (4043316)
- Orchestrator (4047355)
- Service Manager (4024038)
The Update rollup 4 introduces support for the security protocol TLS 1.2 for all encrypted communications. Earlier versions of TLS and SSL encryption mechanisms are not considered with a high level of security, for this reason Microsoft has decided to introduce for the following System Center products official support for the security protocol TLS 1.2:
- System Center Operations Manager (SCOM)
- System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM)
- System Center Data Protection Manager (SCDPM)
- System Center Orchestrator (SCO)
- Service Management Automation (SMA)
- Service Provider Foundation (SPF)
- System Center Service Manager (SM)
Enabling TLS 1.2 requires that you follow the following macro step:
- Install security updates for Windows Server, .NET 4.6 and SQL Server.
- Install the Update Rollup 4 of System Center 2016 on the different components. Regarding Service Management Automation (SMA) and Service Provider Foundation (SPF) you still need to apply the latest Update Rollup available. In addition to SMA you need to update its Management Pack.
- Change the settings to enable TLS 1.2 in the Windows environment on all System Center components.
- Adapt the System Center component-specific settings that require it (SCOM, SCDPM and SCO).
For more details you can follow the specific deployment guide.
System Center Configuration Manager
Released version 1709 for the branch Technical Preview of System Center Configuration Manager: Update 1709 for Configuration Manager Technical Preview Branch – Available Now!
The new features in this update are:
- Co-management: solution that allows the management of devices using either System Center Configuration Manager and Microsoft Intune. Thanks to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update there is the opportunity to join the device both to the Active Directory domain (AD) on-premises and to Azure AD in the cloud. This expands the possibilities for management of devices using the Configuration Manager client and the MDM agent of Intune.
- Improvement regarding the use of SCCM connected to Intune for the management of the mobile devices with regard to the settings of VPN profiles. With this update, in fact while creating a new VPN profile shows only the appropriate settings for the platform that you intend to configure. More details about you can retrieve them in this article.
Also released version 1710 always for the branch Technical Preview of System Center Configuration Manager. The many innovations introduced with this update are available in the announcement Update 1710 for Configuration Manager Technical Preview Branch – Available Now!.
I remind you that the releases in the Technical Preview Branch allows you to evaluate in preview new SCCM functionality and is recommended to apply these updates only in test environments.
System Center Operations Manager
In the table below the news about SCOM Management Pack 2016:
- New versions available for DHCP Service Management Pack:
The changes introduced by these new MPs can be found in the article DHCP 2016 and 2012 R2 Management Pack release.
- Microsoft Advanced Threat Analytics Management Pack version 8.1.1
- Released two Management Packs for SQL Server in public preview:
- Sql Server Management Packs Update (188.8.131.52)
- Sql Server 2017+ and Replication Management Pack (RC). An interesting innovation is the '+' symbol in the name of the MP indicating that it can be used to monitor the SQL Server 2017 and subsequent releases (vesion agnostic) to avoid having to manage different MP for each version of SQL Server.
- Released a MP for the monitor of Office 365 through synthetic transactions it is able to control mail flow and licensing.
- Released the new PowerShell Monitoring Management Pack. It is an MP open sorce available free to this link that adds support for PowerShell in the Authoring SCOM console branch.
- New Management Packs for Orchestrator and Orchestrator – Service Management Automation.
System Center Orchestrator
Released the latest version of’Integration Pack for System Center 2016.
To test and evaluate for free Operations Management Suite (OMS) you can access this page and select the mode that is most appropriate for your needs.